University of Florida Law Student Won Tuition in Absolute Poker's Free 'Win Your Tuition' Tournament.You Could Be Next, Play New "Tuition" Tournament Starting in November 2005.
SAN JOSE, Costa Rica - Derek Dilberian, a 24-year- old University of Florida law student has won Absolute Poker's free "Win Your Tuition" tournament. To compete in the tournament, which ended May 26, students only needed proof of enrollment for fall 2005 semester, be in good standing with their school, and have access to a computer. The next free "Win Your Tuition" tournament begins in November and registration is now available at Absolute Poker's college section.
Competing for the first time in an online tournament, the New Jersey native topped 4,000 students from around the World and from more than 450 colleges who were vying for the grand prize of tuition paid for one semester. Second place winner Tim Mannion, a student at Providence College from New Hyde Park, N.Y., won a laptop and third through ninth place winners took home Apple iPods. All the winners are listed below:
- 1st Place - Derek Dilberian (Dilberman) University of Florida College of Law, from Gainesville, Fla.
- 2nd Place - Tim Mannion (Timiscute) Providence College, from New Hyde Park, New York.
- 3rd Place - John Hayes (JHFAQ) UC Santa Barbara, from Ketchum, Idaho
- 4th Place - Jordan Scott (LoboPunterJJ) University of New Mexico, from Albuquerque, N.M.
- 5th Place - James Tetirick (JDmondy99) Ohio State University, from Westerville, Ohio
- 6th Place - Regan Cahalan (Calirunslow) University of Northern Iowa, from Cedar Falls, Iowa
- 7th Place - Tom Ackmann (Tomackmann) University of Illinois, from Barrington, Ill.
- 8th Place - Michael Howington (ChaoticB) Louisiana Tech University, from West Monroe, La.
- 9th Place - David Eagan (Dreagon8602) Purdue, from West LaFayette, Ind.
Dilberian, who is in the top 5% of his class and was named to the Florida Law Review this spring, has been funding his education primarily through student loans and a series of part-time jobs that included tutoring elementary and high school students and working as an undergraduate teaching assistant. A guitarist in a rock band since he was 16, Dilberian said he also moonlights playing guitar at local clubs and, as of last week, began working at an Orlando law firm.
In his "spare time," he said he plays online poker.
Asked about the secret to winning at poker, Dilberian said, "I act how strong I am. Some people over-analyze and try to read me. I don't put on a show." As for "reading" his online opponents, "Especially at the beginning you have to be patient because it all boils down to survival. Then, you analyze your competitors' game. It's 80 percent on what they bet and 20 percent of what they bet before that hand."
According to Garin Gustafson, vice president of marketing for AbsolutePoker, "This tournament was an entertaining, no-cost way for college students to have fun and compete for a chance to pay for school. Poker takes skill and Derek clearly proved he was the best. We congratulate him for winning and are happy to have the opportunity to contribute to funding his education."
Gustafson added that the company expects to double the number of entries for the upcoming fall tournament. "We've had such a tremendous response to this tournament that we're already starting to register students for the next one starting in November. This competition attracted more than 4,000 students and we wouldn't be surprised if the registration numbers for the next 'Win Your Tuition' tournament more than doubled. After all, how many opportunities do you get to win college tuition by playing free poker games?" - said Gustafson.
About Absolute Poker
Absolute Poker is the world's fifth largest online poker destination worldwide uniting thousands of active players at any time. Powered by proprietary software, Absolute Poker was created to offer the most comprehensive, interactive online poker room, while always delivering excellent customer service and a personal touch to each poker player. Players worldwide can play multi-player online poker games at Absolute Poker 24/7. Established in 2003, Absolute Poker is licensed and regulated in Canada, voted "Best New Poker Site" 2004 by the readers of Gambling Online Magazine.
Source: Absolute Poker.
Related Poker Articles:
1. Absolute Poker Increases FreeRoll Online Poker Tournament.. (21/02/2005)
2. Call for Entries for AbsolutePoker's Free 'Win Your Tuition'.. (23/05/2005)
3. Second Week in a Row, AbsolutePoker's Player BEATS Poker Pro.. (05/05/2005)
4. Player on AbsolutePoker BEATS Poker Pro Mark Seif and Wins a.. (25/04/2005)
5. Absolute Poker's Player Faces off with Poker Pro Mark Seif to.. (20/04/2005)
6. Absolute Poker Room Celebrates 100 Million Hands Dealt.. (25/03/2005)
All Absolute Poker Room's News