Online Poker News » May 2005 » May 7, 2005.
The 2nd Annual College Poker Championship's Winner Will Be Found Soon - Only the Top 20 Percent Will Advance to the Final Table.After eight months of anticipation and 37 preliminary tournaments in the 2nd Annual College Poker Championship™, qualified students will have the opportunity to go head-to-head in this Sunday's Semifinal Tournament (4pm EST) and earn a highly-coveted seat at the final table. Only the top 20 percent will advance to the final game on the 22nd and the chance to take home a significant portion of the $135,000 prize pool.
To date, more than 25,000 registered participants from 2,400 schools in 55 countries have competed. In addition to vying for a chance at the title of the official 2005 College Poker Championship winner, students also accrue points for their school in the rivalry competition. At the conclusion of the tournament, the college or university with the highest point total will be named the official 2005 College Poker Champion.
The Top Ten schools to date will be represented by the following number of participants in Sunday's Semifinal:
1. Pennsylvania State University, 157
2. University of Florida, 96
3. University of Wisconsin - Madison, 64
4. Purdue University, 63
5. Florida State University, 62
6. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, 60
7. University of Illinois - Urbana-Campaign, 55
8. University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, 53
9. University of Texas - Austin, 49
10. University of Central Florida, 47
May 15, 2005 4pm EST - The Semifinal Tournament:
Only students who have advanced in the qualifying tournaments can participate, the top 20 percent move on to the Final Table.
May 22, 2005 pm EST - The Final Table:
- The Champion will be awarded a $41,000 academic scholarship.
- Each contestant placing 1st-10th will earn a $1,000 donation to be awarded to the charity or organization of their choice.
- Players placing 2-10 will share a $53,300 scholarship prize pool.
- Players placing 11-80 will share a prize pool of $15,500 of scholarship awards.
Interested in speaking to some hip and happenin' young poker players in your area? Lou Krieger, author of Poker for Dummies and the Poker Player's Bible, and the volunteer host of the CPC, is also available. For more information or to schedule an interview, please contact:
Kerry Johnson / Ann Manby, Lotus Public Relations
Kerry.Johnson@lotus-pr.com / Ann.Manby@lotus-pr.com
ABOUT COLLEGE POKER CHAMPIONSHIP
The 2nd Annual College Poker Championship is open to registered college and university students worldwide to determine the official 2005 College Poker Championship winner. Entry into the tournament is free of charge, with all events being played with tournament chips. No purchase is ever required. College Poker Championship supports students' educational endeavors with scholarships worth $135,000, donations to charities, and champions the use of poker as a strategic learning tool.
Source: College Poker Championship
Related Poker Articles:
1. Two Weeks Left For Students To Claim The Hottest Ticket On.. (28/04/2005)
2. Absolute Poker College Challenge Provides Students With.. (30/10/2009)
3. College Poker Championships In October - KickAss Freeroll And.. (10/10/2005)